Thursday, March 1, 2012

Last Tweet

I was shocked this morning to learn that Andrew Breitbart, a conservative commentator and author, had passed away at the age of 43. I recently turned 30, and I found myself using a phrase I'd previously heard my father use:“That's too young.” It's a harsh reminder that each and every one of us is getting older. Each of us, whether we like to admit it or not, has an unknown “expiration date.” We are all blessed with a finite number of days on this earth. Today, Andrew Breitbart's friends, family, followers and even his enemies are remembering the life that he lived, and the impact he made in his short 43 years.

One article I read referenced his last tweet. He had apologized for calling someone a putz. I found myself wondering, what would he have said if he knew this was his last tweet? Personally, I hope for something profound and timeless, but none of us knows which tweet will be our last. Husbands, when you left for work this morning, what were your last words to your wife? To your children? Ephesians 4:29 says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Another translation says, “Don't say anything that would hurt another person.”

If today was your last day, how would your life be remembered? Would you be remembered as a good husband and a good father? What would people say when they reminisce about you? Make the most of every moment. Take every opportunity to build up your spouse and encourage your children. Speak life into your family. The decisions we make today, and the words that we say will resonate for eternity.

~ Cameron